- Senator Bob Corker admits what we’ve known all along: For Republicans, it’s Party over country
- Former top aide charged in federal UAW-FCA training center probe
- GM finally gets one right: Chevrolet (Nissan) City Express Van Discontinued After 2018
- UAW vs. Tesla: It’s on Union complaints could accelerate organizing drive
- Volkswagen to build new 5-seat Atlas in Chattanooga next year
UAW, NUMMI reach deal on plant closing
UAW, NUMMI reach deal
on plant closing
By BRENT SNAVELY
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER
The UAW and NUMMI have reached a tentative
agreement on the closing of Toyota’s and
General Motors’ former joint venture in Fremont, C
The agreement covers approximately 4,500 UAW
members represented by UAW Local 2244 at New
United Motor Manufacturing Inc., or NUMMI.
Toyota said earlier this month it would offer
$250 million to pay bonuses to hourly and
salaried workers at the plant, which makes the
Toyota Corolla sedan and Toyota Tacoma
However, the company and union need to resolve
a $131 million shortfall in the company’s hourly
The UAW said it won’t discuss details about the
agreement until members at UAW Local 2244
have an opportunity to vote.
Toyota and GM formed NUMMI in 1983 at an
existing GM assembly plant.
GM withdrew from the joint venture last summer
bankruptcy. Without producing the Pontiac
Vibes NUMMI sold to GM, Toyota decided to
close the plant.
Toyota plans to close NUMMI on April 1.
Zone at Large – 1st
Zone at Large – 2nd
Sgt. at Arms
David C Spare
E-Board at Large (2)
GM Unit Chair
Leadec Unit Chair
Ryder Unit Chair
AFV Unit Chair